SONAR Mods

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to start with mods?  (Read 2470 times)

Panu

• Administrator
  • [SONAR Mods]
    • SONAR Mods
How to start with mods?
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:00:25 AM »

SONAR Mods: All about customizing Cakewalk SONAR X1 and X2

All customizing is done using Duckbar, a program made by the author. Duckbar has also many more features like a floating toolbar for SONAR, deep access to SONAR settings, maintenance commands, easy to use backup/restore system and much more.

Start using Duckbar now:
  • Log in to see downloads. Guests can see boards but they can not access downloads area.
  • Download and install latest Duckbar at Duckbar download area.
  • Follow First Run Wizard to set up the most critical settings and to backup SONAR files and settings that you are able to tweak using Duckbar.
First mod: select Customize | Mod Patcher from the main menu. You will see a tree list of all available mods made by me, author of SONAR Mods. (There are more mods available at the download area.) Apply selected mod by clicking the Apply button. That's it!

Important note:
Mods are not officially supported by Cakewalk. Disable mods before reporting problems, contacting Cakewalk support or posting about problems at Cakewalk forums.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:09:52 PM by Panu »

Panu

• Administrator
  • [SONAR Mods]
    • SONAR Mods
Re: How to start with mods?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »

Duckbar and multiple SONAR installations

If you have multiple SONAR versions installed in your system, you can switch between them using Alt-1, Alt-2, Alt-3 etc. keyboard shortcuts. Selected SONAR version is shown in the Duckbar caption. You can also select SONAR version from a list: open File | Select SONAR (shortcut Alt-X). 

zoffmeister

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »

Hi Panu

I haven't a clue how to get going using Duckbar. There are no instructions.
Firstly I go to Mod Patcher. It doesn't matter which item i choose from the list, the apply button remains greyed out.

I want to edit skylight interface.
I chose Skylight Colors. Now what do i do? I click Load in the Preset section. I chose a preset, i open it. I'm back in the Skylight Color Filter interface but absolutely nothing has happened. Everything still looks empty. Nothing in the list window and nothing in the preview windows.
I go over to the Source list. Underneath is a button called 'Load List'. I click this it opens the Load List window where i can chose a file called Control Bar Backgrounds. I do so. Absolutely nothing happens. The list window is still empty. What am I doing wrong? i could really do with a manual.

Help!

Panu

• Administrator
  • [SONAR Mods]
    • SONAR Mods
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 03:27:21 AM »

Hi Zoffmeister,
I'm sorry there is no proper documentation available yet. Here is some first aid. I hope you get started...

Mod Patcher Apply button greyed out, possible causes:
- SONAR is running. Close SONAR and try again.
- Target file is not set up correctly (sometimes automatic detection may fail depending on the SONAR version). Click Target field and select desired TTSRES*.DLL. SONAR X2 uses TTSRES100.dll, SONAR X1 uses TTSRES90.dll.

Skylight Colors

Load list is meaningful only if you have saved a list before. There are no preset lists available.

To start with Skylight Colors, I recommend you to extract images from the TTSRES100.dll. Launch Main menu | Customize | Extract Skylight graphics.... You will be asked for a target folder. Select any folder you like. Open folder in Explorer. There are two subfolders: PNG and Bitmap. PNG subfolder is more intersting because 95% of Skylight interface graphics are found there.

Next step: Open Skylight Colors window. Drag and drop PNG images to any location of Skylight Colors window and they will be added to the list on the left.  Now you can play with presets and sliders. Preview window shows how image colors would be changed. After you have found good colors, select target for the files to be processed. Safest way is to store images back to files, generally to a new folder. You can also write images directly to the TTSRES100.dll (SONAR must be closed) or to an existing mod (currently Skylight Colors can not create a new mod file but it can overwrite/append an existing mod). 

Now it's time to save list of images. Click Save list button and enter filename.

-Panu

zoffmeister

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »

Hi

I extracted the images. I selected some of the PNGs and dragged them to the Skylight Colors window and nothing happens. They do not go into the list.

Here's another problem I have found.
I want to use the Darkside theme as a starting point. So I chose that one and apply it. SONAR has now adopted the Darkside theme. That's fine.
I want to edit this theme. Mainly at the moment what I want to change is the color of the strip backgrounds in the Console. In your Darkside theme they are a kind of greeny blue (lets call it blue), but I want them to be a dark grey.
By right-clicking in the list window I can select the darkside mod which populates the list.
So I select the relevant images in the list and recolor them. To get what I want it is a simple case of pulling both the saturation and Hue sliders all the way to the left. I apply the changes to the selected files. Now SONAR doesn't work. SONAR opens to the Open File dialog but once I open a project there is an error and SONAR has to close down. When I look back at the Skylight Colors window I notice for the images I have changed the top Filter Preview window shows the image I want, but the bottom Target to Overwrite window is empty. What has happened? It's like my color changes have either deleted or made the images invisible. No wonder SONAR isn't happy. I reapply your original Darkside theme and SONAR is happy again. i.e. If I modify images in the list it breaks SONAR. What am I doing wrong?

Panu

• Administrator
  • [SONAR Mods]
    • SONAR Mods
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »

I'm not sure what's wrong. I collected Dark Side's console graphics to a RAR archive, see attachment. Drag & drop them to Skylight Colors.  Reduce saturation. Set target to a new folder.  Apply. Drag & drop processed images to Duckbar main window. Does it work this way?

Twanger

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:08:45 AM »

I have installed Duckbar and am confused by what I see.  Am using Win XP SP3, Sonar X1.

After install, I do find a Duckbar folder in the Windows Program list, and in that folder is a Windows "run command" type icon for Duckbar.  I click on this and get an error.

Not sure what to do next.

Steve
Sonar X1 Expanded X1d 64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7-3770K CPU
16GB
SSD main disk

Panu

• Administrator
  • [SONAR Mods]
    • SONAR Mods
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:40:02 AM »

I'm afraid current version is not compatible with XP. :-/   I'm doing my best to find what goes wrong in XP but that's not too easy because the oldest Windows version I have is Windows 7.

Do you have 32 or 64 bit XP?

Try to run Duckbar with -debug command line argument:  "duckbar.exe -debug". Open Duckbar installation folder and see if there is log.txt. Are there any entries? What is the error message you see?

Twanger

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »

I'm afraid current version is not compatible with XP. :-/   I'm doing my best to find what goes wrong in XP but that's not too easy because the oldest Windows version I have is Windows 7.

Try to run Duckbar with -debug command line argument:  "duckbar.exe -debug". Open Duckbar installation folder and see if there is log.txt. Are there any entries? What is the error message you see?

I have 32 bit XP.   Followed your instructions, but there is no log created.   There is an error dialog that pops up, but unfortunately, I cannot save or print it.  My DAW is not connected to Internet nor has a printer installed.  I can fix that, but I would like to get some music in, and have spent the last week doing everything but...

I am not sure what Duckbar is... I was interested int the Reindeer color scheme and thats how I found your site.  I am interested in the Sonar Plus toolbar, and not sure if Duckbar is also a toolbar app.  I hate the Sonar X1 Big Stick in My Eye they call the control bar.  I did get Sonar Plus working.   Is there anyway to use Reindeer color scheme without Duckbar?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:26:46 PM by Twanger »
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7-3770K CPU
16GB
SSD main disk

Twanger

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »

I installed a PDF printer, but Ctrl P does not work when the error dialog is shown.  So, I hand wrote the first part of the message:

Unhandled Exception happened.  Error information:
An error occurred creating the form.  See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: Exception has been thrown by the target of invocation.  ......more stuff.... The parameter is incorrect at System.Drawing.Icon.Initialize(Int32 width, Int32 height)... and a bunch more stuff after this.

If you want to peruse this, I will have to find a way to capture the screen.  I can understand if you do not.

Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7-3770K CPU
16GB
SSD main disk

Twanger

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »

Hi again,

If I may offer a critique...I googled "Duckbar Sonar"  and couldnt turn up anything that told me what Duckbar is and worse, nothing that showed me Duckbar.   So I am lost...maybe its me, or maybe you can rethink how you present yourself on the web...

Would be happy for you to correct me and show me to a page that lays it all out.  But that page should have turned up pretty quick in a search, right?
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7-3770K CPU
16GB
SSD main disk

Panu

• Administrator
  • [SONAR Mods]
    • SONAR Mods
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »

> maybe you can rethink how you present yourself on the web...

This site is not advertised on purpose for several reasons: Duckbar is not yet ready for the masses. Lack of documentation is the main issue I'm aware of. It's not tested enough in variable platform configurations and rapid development and changes in UI may confuse inexperienced users.  Another good reason to keep small profile is not to test Cakewalk's nerves.

Twanger

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 12:09:43 AM »

> maybe you can rethink how you present yourself on the web...

This site is not advertised on purpose for several reasons: Duckbar is not yet ready for the masses. Lack of documentation is the main issue I'm aware of. It's not tested enough in variable platform configurations and rapid development and changes in UI may confuse inexperienced users.  Another good reason to keep small profile is not to test Cakewalk's nerves.

I gotcha...
Update...I upgraded my DAW to 64 bit Sonar X1, Win 7 64 bit.   Duck bar installed normally and is usable.  I do have questions but think I will post them in a new thread.

BTW, this is some serious coding you have done my friend.  Kudos.
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7-3770K CPU
16GB
SSD main disk

johnlewisgrant

• The Weill-tempered piano sample
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 05:06:25 PM »

I don't think this is highjacking the thread, more like extending it a bit.

New to Ducky.... I really only need to do ONE thing, a thing that Sonar 8.5 doesn't do:

DOES DUCKBAR do KEYSTROKE MACROS???   

Case in point:  you want to load a particular piano sample with a new midi file.   The current state of Sonar (including the X series) is that, once you've called up your midi file, you need to do about 8 or 9 different keystrokes to get your workstation and sample running (say "Kontakt" running "Imperfect Fazioli" on 4 tracks of midi info).   

It would be nice if OTHER keystroke macros could be structured by the user, VIZ: velocity changes over all tracks.  Duration changes over all tracks.  Freeze (now about 3 keystrokes..... should be on a macro.)

Does Duckbar do these things?

JG
Pages: [1]   Go Up